rubber in compartments, rod lockers rubber in compartments, rod lockers
Bass Fishing Home PageTM    Boats and Motors  


Boating Equip.
Tackle Shops
Fishing Acc.


Fishing Reports
BFHP Articles
Fishing News
Fishing Tactics
Places to Fish
Boat Ramp Stories
Other Topics
Other Fishing Topics
Swap/Sell (no boats)
Props 4 Sale

Boats 4 Sale
Saltwater Fishing
Striped Bass
Lure Making
OBX Wildlife Photos
More Politics

Boats and Motors

    rubber in compartments, rod lockers
from soggybottom #12100  
5/19/2009 8:20:51 AM


 the rubber seal is coming off many places on my rod lockers and compartments, what is the best adhesive to use to reatach. I'm tempted to use super glue but don't know if there is a downside to using it.

Rate this message:
1 Star

2 Star

3 Star

4 Star

5 Star

   Not super glue from billsp from NJ #10879  5/19/2009 8:42:59 AM
It won't hold real well there and leaves a white residue. Go to an auto store and get some Trim Adhesive, the gaskets around your car/truck doors are close to what your boat lockers has. It's basically a contact cement.

   Silicone from Jeff Hahn  5/19/2009 8:44:39 AM
I've used RTV silicone to reattach some trim on both a boat and door trim on my tow vehicle. Stay away from the Super Glue!

Jeff Hahn

   Is it time for new seals? from JohnM  5/19/2009 9:12:29 AM
 I've seen brand new boats come off the line with the seals cut a tad short. When they are not cut the correct length they will either pucker and come loose or pull loose in the corners from being too short. If just trying to patch them up I would NOT use a permanant glue! Sooner or later rubber seals need to be replaced.

   Contact Cement from BCB  5/19/2009 9:22:36 AM
 You can use a form of contact cement, which is what most trim adhesives are, only it is placed in a tube for easy application.

We assume you are speaking of placing it on the fiberglass edge.

If you are speaking of the trim itself, then replace it with new.

   autoparts store or from MikeF  5/19/2009 9:46:10 AM
You can go to an autoparts store and get weatherstrip adhesive which is formulated for weatherstriping. Or you can use any good contact adhesive; both surfaces need to be clean and you need to read and follow the label directions.

If the weatherstriping is damaged you need to take a piece with you and see if they carry a replacement or order it from whoever made your boat.

   when BCB boats speak from Beartrap  5/19/2009 7:00:01 PM
I listen close......

   Gorilla snot. from Alex from GA #10518  5/19/2009 9:11:22 PM
 3m trim cement. It's also called yellow peril.

   The trim cement from BCB  5/20/2009 12:19:42 AM
Trim cement is usually just contact cement in a tube.

   contact cement in a tube. from BASSMAN IA.  5/21/2009 9:16:45 PM
 OR---- ever replace a rubber gasket on a dryer door? 3M makes this yellow snot like stuff that works great (and it is what all manufacturers use to adhere the gasket from the factory). The best part about using this stuff on a gasket---------- when you do need to replace the gasket--- it comes off like a big rubber band. No scraping, no picking, pull the gasket up----- stuff stretches out like a big yellow rubber band and comes right off.



Can't remember your password? Click here!
Email Address:

Users with subscriptions can attach pictures to their comments by using the form at"




Advertising/Sponsor Information

Register to post messages and reports


Subscribers don't receive these ads

Fishing Reports
BFHP Articles
Fishing News
Upcoming Events
Rally Page
BFHP Surveys
Fishing Tactics
Places to Fish
Other Topics
Product Evaluations

Boat Ramp Stories
Trailers & Towing
Boats For Sale
Tournament Tactics
Striped Bass

Fly Fishing
Saltwater Fishing
Non-Fishing 2
Political Hook
Tall Tales, Fiction & Legend
Complete Listing of Boards
Copyright © WMI, Inc. 1995-2017. All rights reserved.
This message board created and maintained by: WebMasters International, Inc. (WMI) address mail to

WMI disclaimer
Privacy Statement