I'm relatively new to crappie fishing but do I'm relatively new to crappie fishing but do
Bass Fishing Home PageTM    Crappie  
Boating Equip.
Guides
Tackle Shops
Fishing Acc.
Lodging

7-11-2013

Fishing Reports
BFHP Articles
Fishing News
Tournaments
Fishing Tactics
Places to Fish
Rods/Reels
Electronics
Boats/Motors
Boat Ramp Stories
Trailers/Towing
Props
Other Topics
Other Fishing Topics
Swap/Sell
Swap/Sell (no boats)
Props 4 Sale

Boats 4 Sale
Saltwater Fishing
Non-Fishing
Striped Bass
Lure Making
More Politics
Co-Anglers

Crappie

I'm relatively new to crappie fishing but do
from PPEN  
4/9/2011 2:35:26 PM

Rated:

have a thought to share. We have been fishing for crappie on our central Florida, dark water lake and for both trolling and casting, inline spinners such as the Roostertail have been the most productive lure. Right now a white lure, or at least a lure with some white tail feather, in the 1/8th oz. size has been the most productive. The 1/8th oz. size is working now because of the depth at which the crappie are feeding.

Many of the trollers are using a bobber about 30" above the lure to hold the lure at approximately 24" below the surface. Most are using the electric trolling motor to maintain the slow trolling speed the crappie seem to prefer. The last hour before dark is the best time to find our crappie feeding most actively. One other significant factor is wind speed. If the lake is still the bite is limited to just prior to dark. With a good chop on the water they might feed as long as two hours.

The crappie spawn is pretty much over over on our lake but the crappie are continuing to feed primarily in water depths of less than 5 feet. I am hoping to fish frequently enough to stay in contact with the fish as they move deeper. That seems a lot easier than having to locate the fish each time on the water.

I sure would appreciate reading what your crappie fishing expeience has taught you. I have an awful lot to learn.

Rate this message:
1 Star

2 Star

3 Star

4 Star

5 Star

A couple lessons I learned. from TroyJ/Angling Alabama   4/13/2011 3:40:13 PM
 Primarily I was strictly a finesse/micro type of guy for crappie. I used mostly ice fishing jigs even here in the South. Then I go on some trips with some real crappie guides, and they have 11 foot flipping sticks, 10 pound line and 1/4oz jigs tied on. Funky colors that I would have never thought of either. And... they tie two jigs on per rod.

If the water is stained at all, I learned there is no reason to use a tiny micro jig. And my ultra-lights are collecting dust till I hit the trout rivers.

. from RJR  5/2/2013 3:58:32 PM

Name:

Password:

Can't remember your password? Click here!
State:
Email Address:

Users with subscriptions can attach pictures to their comments by using the form at http://www.wmi.org/newboard/upload_pictures/"

Subject:

Comments:

Advertising/Sponsor Information
Subscriptions
Register to post messages and reports

7-11-2013

Subscribers don't receive these ads

Fishing Reports
BFHP Articles
Fishing News
Upcoming Events
Rally Page
BFHP Surveys
Fishing Tactics
Places to Fish
Rods/Reels
Electronics
Other Topics
Product Evaluations

Boats/Motors
Boat Ramp Stories
Trailers & Towing
Boats For Sale
Tournament Tactics
Striped Bass

Swap/Sell
Clubs 
Fly Fishing
Hunting
Props
Fish4
Saltwater Fishing
Non-Fishing
Political Hook
Tall Tales, Fiction & Legend
Complete Listing of Boards
Copyright © WMI, Inc. 1995-2014. All rights reserved.
This message board created and maintained by: WebMasters International, Inc. (WMI) address mail to wmi@wmi.org

WMI disclaimer
Privacy Statement

Google