What is the difference between the 24 and 27 group? What is the difference between the 24 and 27 group?
Bass Fishing Home PageTM    Electronics  
Boating Equip.
Guides
Tackle Shops
Fishing Acc.
Lodging

7-11-2013

Fishing Reports
BFHP Articles
Fishing News
Tournaments
Fishing Tactics
Places to Fish
Rods/Reels
Electronics
Boats/Motors
Boat Ramp Stories
Trailers/Towing
Props
Other Topics
Other Fishing Topics
Swap/Sell
Swap/Sell (no boats)
Props 4 Sale

Boats 4 Sale
Saltwater Fishing
Non-Fishing
Striped Bass
Lure Making
More Politics
Co-Anglers

Electronics

What is the difference between the 24 and 27 group?
from Cosmo (204.217.212.76)  
12/4/2000 7:34:00 AM

Rated:

What is the difference between the 24 and 27 group batteries?

Thanks for the help regarding this matter.

Rate this message:
1 Star

2 Star

3 Star

4 Star

5 Star

Differences from captharv (207.243.136.35)  12/4/2000 9:16:00 AM
 Size, amp-hour capacity, starting current, and price. If you can afford them and have the room, go the 27s.

And of course, from JLively  12/5/2000 5:02:00 AM
 The 27's are heavier. I generally advise people to put the largest batteries that will fit in the hold. I run 29's in mine. They have better reserve capacity, which equates to longer time on the water. However, they are noticeably larger than the 27's. For even bigger applications, Group 30 batteries are available.

You didn't say what type boat they were going in so that's about all the infor you can get.

Jim

Definitions from Thom (198.99.246.1)  12/5/2000 7:59:00 AM
 I've never been able to find where the different groups are defined but I have found out that the group size simply refers to conventions of dimension and terminal placement. That means that the group size in itself doesn't have anything to do with the battery's electrical capaicity. As a practicle matter, however, the larger the battery the greater its capacity and the larger the group number the larger the battery's dimensions will be. So even though a Group 27 battery wouldn't necessairly be of greater electrical capacity than a Group 24 in fact they will be almost every time. About all that means is this, when you are comparing batterys for use in your boat what you really want to be looking at are the electrical capacities, not the dimensions. Most all boats have enough room for you to have some flexability in choosing your batterys, sizewise that is. Oh, one more thing and then I'll go - when you have a pair of batterys which share the same approximate case sizes and location of terminal placement you may notice that they can have much different electrical storage specifications. The reason for that, in a nutshell, is this; you can make and install a lot of small thin plates or you can make and install fewer large thick plates. Thought the batterys would be of the same Group number the one with lots of thin plates would likely have a much higher rating for cold cranking amps (CCA) or marine cranking amps (MCA) but at the same time it would have a reserve capacity which was considerably lower than the similar battery of the same Group number which had fewer but thicker plates.

There is something else you might want to keep in mind when you are doing your battery search as well. There is much hype spouted by the battery manufacturers and its repeated by the faithful buyers day in and day out that is pure nonsense - that is that deep cycle batterys aren't capable of doing duty as starting batterys. Here's a clue for you - deep cycle batterys are capable of doing anything that "starting" batterys are and for a boater are a better deal every single time for every single use.

When I go battery shopping I can tell you that just about the only two specifications I look at are the total amp/hour capacities of the batterys and the price. I say price simply because about 85% of the batterys sold in this country are made by one company, Johnson Controls, and although those are sold under many different names you'll find that the prices for identical batterys vary considerably - like on the order of 30% or so. Here, try this, the next time you're in Wally World take a look at their largest marine battery. I think they call them Everstarts or something like that, they will be Group 29 batterys. Pay attention to things like the exact dimensions and the casting of the cases - where the handel is attahced and how and how many little ridges are in the sides and stuff like that. Then skip over to Sears and take a look at their largest Group 29 Die Hard battery. Here's what you'll see - they are identical in every single way except price - the Wally World version will run you about $55-$60 and the Die Hard will be a lot closer to $80-$90.

Just something to keep in mind .....

Thom

Another note. from Sal (205.188.192.28)  12/6/2000 5:58:00 PM
 If you can pick up a battery with one hand & carry it like a lunch box, it ain't no good. If your privates drop down into your socks when you try & lift one, it's a good battery. I found costco to have better warranties on their batteries, [ Kirkland brand, made by Johnson ]. My ficht engine manual, insists on installing 2 - group 29 batteries, much more reserve capacity, with a minimum of 625 cca. Sal

difference from Bugsy  12/14/2000 8:22:00 PM
 in real simple terms, at the end of the day when its time to go home after bottom fishing with the radio on, group 27 - RRVROOM , group 24 RRCLICK K K K K this is vessel xxxxx calling SeaTow !

Name:

Password:

Can't remember your password? Click here!
State:
Email Address:

Users with subscriptions can attach pictures to their comments by using the form at http://www.wmi.org/newboard/upload_pictures/"

Subject:

Comments:

Advertising/Sponsor Information
Subscriptions
Register to post messages and reports

7-11-2013

Subscribers don't receive these ads

Fishing Reports
BFHP Articles
Fishing News
Upcoming Events
Rally Page
BFHP Surveys
Fishing Tactics
Places to Fish
Rods/Reels
Electronics
Other Topics
Product Evaluations

Boats/Motors
Boat Ramp Stories
Trailers & Towing
Boats For Sale
Tournament Tactics
Striped Bass

Swap/Sell
Clubs 
Fly Fishing
Hunting
Props
Fish4
Saltwater Fishing
Non-Fishing 2
Political Hook
Tall Tales, Fiction & Legend
Complete Listing of Boards
Copyright © WMI, Inc. 1995-2014. All rights reserved.
This message board created and maintained by: WebMasters International, Inc. (WMI) address mail to wmi@wmi.org

WMI disclaimer
Privacy Statement

Google