Lure Making
More Politics
Co-Anglers

Electronics

Splicing VHF Antenna Wire
from FarmerJim (64.12.103.24)  
1/27/2001 2:52:00 PM

Rated:

I'm replacing my VHF antenna and do not think I will be able to pull the wire through the tubing on my T-Top. I am thinking about just splicing to the existing wire. Does anyone know if the splice will result in any degradation of the signal? Also, the wire has a core surrounded by insulation which is then surrounded by a metal mesh and then the outer insulation. Does the metal mesh have to be spliced also? I am planning to use solder and heat shrink tubing. Has anyone else done this? Are there any problems I should know to avoid?

Rate this message:
1 Star

2 Star

3 Star

4 Star

5 Star

expect signal loss big time. from 12footer (205.188.193.179)  1/27/2001 3:41:00 PM
 I would advise against splicing the cable. The MINIMUM signal loss will be 3db,which is a lot. add to this,the standing wave of the cable will change,greatly effecting transmit/receive range . Even if you didn't just solder it,and did it with coax fittings and a barrel connector,there will be at least 3db loss. I would sugest another method, to simply cut-off the connector from the new coax,temporarily attach it to the old coax, and drag it thru the path it is currently routed in. Then, just go down to Radio Shack and buy a #PL-259 connector and install it to the new cable,following the directions. Do not even bother with the "solderless" coax connector. They are crappie. If I can assist you via E-mail, don't hesitate to write. I'll walk you thru the surgery. Or you may find an old CBer or Ham radio guy in town to do it for you. Ask him to check the SWR (Standin Wave Ratio) when it is done.

Antenna Cable from David/Seven Seas Marine (152.163.201.68)  1/27/2001 5:41:00 PM
 I would try running the new VHF Cable to the Radio. I would try to ways of running the cable. Tape a piece of string to the old VHF Cable. The string will act as a messenger. Pull the old cable out. Then tapr the string to the new cable. Also put some Boat Soap or WD-40 on the VHF Cable and pull. Soap will make it nice and slippery.

A splice can be done, but this is the correct way.

David

Cable Splice from Culprit (24.4.252.125)  1/27/2001 9:41:00 PM
 Splicing RF antenna cable is not a job for the do-it yourself types. 1 you will loose transmitted power and probably have so much static that you won't be able to pick up any signals that are more than a couple of miles away. 2. if not done correctly the standing wave ratio of the antenna/cable could actually short out the front end (transmit portion) of your radio. Take the boat ,if you can to you local CB repair shop and let them do it correctly. 25 years as an electronics technician with the Air Force working with radio transmission equipment says leave this ti the pros before you cause yourself the unneeded cost of a new radio.

Good luck

splicing coax from Cary (63.14.29.235)  1/29/2001 12:20:00 AM
 Radio Shack used to have a splicing coupler that you could splice CB coax with. Don't know if they still have it. I used one to splice some CB cable in my motorhome many long years ago, and the results were pretty marginal. Radio still worked, but with much less range than before, and the SWR went up a bunch. No biggie, since I mostly used it to talk to truckers on trips. But I sure wouldn't do it on a radio that I planned to use as a safety item.

To answer your question, yes, you must also connect the mesh--that's the shielding, and without it, you will get so much static you won't be able to hear your radio, and your trasmission range will be down to about rock-throwing distance.

I think I'd try to string the new cable, using the old cable as the "cable puller". Some sort of lubricant on the new cable will make it easier--dishwashing soap works pretty well, though you may have soapsuds for awhile!

Good luck. Cary

splicing from captharv (207.243.136.35)  1/29/2001 10:14:00 AM
 As one who was a marine electronic technician, and now an engineer, I would not splice my VHF cable. As above. forget crimp connectors, they get a bad case of corrosion, and break. I would use the existing coax to pull the new one thru, after taping the 2 together. By the way, most of the things that I repaired were owner induced. Finally, a radio that will get you "rescued" is not something to screw with or cheap out. A non-working music radio will not kill you; a non-working VHF can.

Name:

Password:

Can't remember your password? Click here!
State:
Email Address:

Users with subscriptions can attach pictures to their comments by using the form at http://www.wmi.org/newboard/upload_pictures/"

Subject:

Comments:

Advertising/Sponsor Information
Subscriptions
Register to post messages and reports

7-11-2013

Subscribers don't receive these ads

Fishing Reports
BFHP Articles
Fishing News
Upcoming Events
Rally Page
BFHP Surveys
Fishing Tactics
Places to Fish
Rods/Reels
Electronics
Other Topics
Product Evaluations

Boats/Motors
Boat Ramp Stories
Trailers & Towing
Boats For Sale
Tournament Tactics
Striped Bass

Swap/Sell
Clubs 
Fly Fishing
Hunting
Props
Fish4
Saltwater Fishing
Non-Fishing 2
Political Hook
Tall Tales, Fiction & Legend
Complete Listing of Boards
Copyright © WMI, Inc. 1995-2014. All rights reserved.
This message board created and maintained by: WebMasters International, Inc. (WMI) address mail to wmi@wmi.org

WMI disclaimer
Privacy Statement

Google