OBX Wildlife Photos
More Politics
Co-Anglers

Electronics

Pinpoint 7520
from Mike (67.31.133.130)  
11/9/2003 4:51:00 PM

Rated:

The past two years I've used a 7520 and from a performance standpoint it's by far the best sonar I've used. Unfortunately over that same two years I've swapped or sent in the unit about six times because of problems and after deciding it wasn't dependable traded for an LCX-15. While the X-15 is good, I definitely prefer the 7520. My question is to those who have used the 7520 over a period of time, have you had any problems with them working? I'm wondering if they are undependable or if I just had a string of bad luck. Any input? Thanks.

Rate this message:
1 Star

2 Star

3 Star

4 Star

5 Star

X15 vs 7520 Pinpoint from toslw (205.188.209.11)  11/9/2003 7:47:00 PM
 I been looking to get a new fish-finder for the front of my boat and was looking at a X97 Lowrance for the front and maby a X15 for the dash.

What are some your likes and dislikes of both units?? Why is the 7520 better than the X15 ??

Thanks ,I need all the help I can get.

tough choice but depends on how you use it from bassinfool (64.12.96.234)  11/9/2003 8:57:00 PM
 I had a 7500 for the last 3 years I like it. Never had the issues you have works like a charm I have the motor to go with it and when it works it makes a good system. It is a great up front as its skinny with a big screen but on the consule I go with a x15 so you can get the gps with it. Up front it would be too bulky imho I bought a 7520 for the console thinking to use the pinpoint gps but the maps you can get navtronics you can not get with pinpoint. Service is better with lowrance sense motorguide bought pinpoint. So now I have to get rid of my 7520 and my gm 3000 and get me a x15. Oh the speed of the pinpoint and target seperation to me is whats good about it over the lowrance products. jmho Brent bassinfool

X15 vs 7520 from Mike (67.235.113.148)  11/10/2003 3:18:00 PM
 toslw, Like bassinfool said, the speed and target separation of the 7520 are MUCH better. When I run the Pinpoint on auto I never have to tweak the settings like I do on the X15, and changing settings on the X15 is a pain when you have to go into menus then submenus. The 7520 is more user friendly. I don't like fishing in 15' of water and the X15 shows 30' on screen with the bottom half way up the screen, the Pinpoint keeps the bottom in the lower portion of the screen. Also if your running more than one graph/transducer you can network them and split the screen showing two transducer views with the 7520. If I could just get one that didn't want to quit on me.

PinPoint from Rick La Point - Chauffeured GuideService  11/10/2003 7:08:00 PM
 I have only had a problem with one Unit in all the years I have ran PinPoints. I can't understand what you problem is. Let me know I may be able to help. You guys are right about the target separation on PinPoint compared to the X15 there is no comparison. The only problem with PinPoint is when you use a transducer that is mounted on a nondigital trolling motor. Then it works like a X15. Love mine for the last 6 years!

Rick La Point
Rick's Chauffeured Guide Service
Email: rick@strikebass.com
3322 S. Kimbrough
Springfield, MO 65807
1-800-869-2210
Prostaff for Skeeter Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Center City Marine, Hamby's Protectors, Jim Grandt Custom Rods, H3O, KickNBass, PinPoint, Motor Guide, Silver Buddy, Bag-em Products

Good Fishing and God Bless!

Fish-finders??? from toslw (64.12.96.235)  11/10/2003 8:23:00 PM
 What is the problem mounting a Pinpoint transducer on regular troling motor????

Why does that make it work like a X15??

PinPoint re from Rick La Point - Chauffeured GuideService  11/10/2003 9:10:00 PM
 I don't think it is a problem. But my experience is that it isn't as good a picture as if it was a perm transducer. Still as good as the X15. Now if you have a digital Motor Guide it will work the same.

Rick La Point
Rick's Chauffeured Guide Service
Email: rick@strikebass.com
3322 S. Kimbrough
Springfield, MO 65807
1-800-869-2210
Prostaff for Skeeter Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Center City Marine, Hamby's Protectors, Jim Grandt Custom Rods, H3O, KickNBass, PinPoint, Motor Guide, Silver Buddy, Bag-em Products

Good Fishing and God Bless!

Another Pinpoint point... from Allan Tarvid (63.187.209.215)  11/11/2003 2:38:00 AM
 If you don't have a Pinpoint or MotorGuide trolling motor with a built in transducer and you want to clamp a Pinpoint transducer on the bottom of another trolling motor Pinpoint offers interference resistant transducers to handle the job. I tested one when they first came out a couple of years ago and they significantly reduced the trolling motor interference on the unit's screen. I believe the transducers were called "IF" models which stands for interference free. As I recall they either all had a temp sensor built into them or a version was available with a built in temp sensor.

Pin Point from Woodduck (12.77.169.146)  11/11/2003 6:28:00 AM
 I have the complete system on my Hydrasports and love it. I have had to send the 7520's back several times for water inside the case, a button fell off one time, and once the trolling motor went haywire and zapped the sytem completely!( Everything had to go back but all repairs have been under warranty) I still think it is the best and will hang with them as long as MG will support the product. See pictures of my installation on the next post. Mike P

Pictures from Woodduck (12.77.169.146)  11/11/2003 6:46:00 AM
 I put the pictures on the Boats and Motors page as this page doesn't support pictures. Mike

I can't reset default settings..... from FishEguy (199.72.49.34)  11/11/2003 10:29:00 AM
 on my 7520. I have a 7320 that I can press the menu button 10 times and it will restore the values. Also, the scroll speed of my 7520 is much slower at it's fastest setting than the 7320. Anyone else experience this?? My 7520 is almost brand new and was sent to me directly from the factory as a replacement for a defective 7420. However, it's no longer under warranty.

Mike

Reset from Woodduck (12.77.169.71)  11/11/2003 11:17:00 AM
 On the 7520 I believe you press the "0" button 10 times to reset to factory defaults. My book is in the boat under cover so I'm going by memory. If not the "0" try the enter button 10 times.I'm sure it is not the menu button. Mike

No problems with my 7520, but... from SteveP  11/11/2003 3:42:00 PM
 I have had my PinPoint system since summer '99.

PinPoint 3700 series TM has been fixed once (circuit board), then replaced with a remanufactured TM the second time it failed. It works very well otherwise. I use depth and shore track frequently, and it works as designed.

Replaced original PinPoint mount with a GatorMount II. The non-metal portion in the middle of the pinpoint mount shattered.

PinPoint 7800 graph on the bow was replaced once. Not sure what caused it, but I think leaving it out in the sun didn't help it. I now take this graph off when the boat is not in use, and put it in a storage locker.

The 7520 on the console has been the only thing that has performed flawlessly for five seasons.

When the rest of the components have been working, they've worked very well, too. I think the graphs have excellent features, and terrific displays.

Overall reliability of the PinPoint Positioning system has been less than stellar. I'm not sure I would buy it again, considering the price.

Bingo! from FishEguy (199.72.49.34)  11/12/2003 1:00:00 PM
 Thanks Mike, the "0" button was the ticket. I tried almost every other button but that one (I think I stopped at "5"..lol).......... Pinpoint never sent me the manual for the 7520 when they replaced my 7420 with it.........

Mike

Name:

Password:

Can't remember your password? Click here!
State:
Email Address:

Users with subscriptions can attach pictures to their comments by using the form at http://www.wmi.org/newboard/upload_pictures/"

Subject:

Comments:

Advertising/Sponsor Information
Subscriptions
Register to post messages and reports

7-11-2013

Subscribers don't receive these ads

Fishing Reports
BFHP Articles
Fishing News
Upcoming Events
Rally Page
BFHP Surveys
Fishing Tactics
Places to Fish
Rods/Reels
Electronics
Other Topics
Product Evaluations

Boats/Motors
Boat Ramp Stories
Trailers & Towing
Boats For Sale
Tournament Tactics
Striped Bass

Swap/Sell
Clubs 
Fly Fishing
Hunting
Props
Fish4
Saltwater Fishing
Non-Fishing 2
Political Hook
Tall Tales, Fiction & Legend
Complete Listing of Boards
Copyright © WMI, Inc. 1995-2014. All rights reserved.
This message board created and maintained by: WebMasters International, Inc. (WMI) address mail to wmi@wmi.org

WMI disclaimer
Privacy Statement

Google