Lure Making
More Politics
Co-Anglers

Electronics

Tracker PT 190
from Jim (64.12.116.131)  
1/1/2008 10:30:00 PM

Rated:

Looking for recommendation of depth finder to replace the X47 that came with the boat. Had the transducer moved and adjusted it several times and still can't get readings consistently when propelled by the gas motor. I need to see the bottom at least at idle speed in shallow water. The X47 is useless most of the time - every once in a while it works, but normally, as soon as I run on the gas engine, it just blinks. Anybody have a Tracker with a finder they like?

Rate this message:
1 Star

2 Star

3 Star

4 Star

5 Star

It isn't the Tracker from Jack G, (208.252.179.22)  1/2/2008 2:21:00 PM
 I've owned and used two Trackers, Pro 17 and now a PT18. Never had any serious problems with Humminbird sonars and now one on the console with a transom mount transducer that has Side Imaging. Both my boats were/are riveted hulls, not welded. I just followed the instructions on the sonar units and that seems to work fine for me. I do think, but don't really know, that trying to shoot through the hull from the floor of the bilge might be more difficult to do with aluminum. In all cases, I made sure my transom mount transducers are just barely below the hull line. I lose the readings on sonar and side imaging when I'm running, all except speed and temperature. Shallow water has never been a problem as long as I'm in that 3-6 mph range for searching or on the trolling motor while casting. Sounds to me like you have either a bum unit or someone mounted it wrong. You could also have interference somehow. Trace the transducer wire and be sure it isn't pinched somewhere or lying alongside current carrying wires from the console to the big motor. That's about all I know to do, that plus following the directions that come with the unit. Hope this helps... Jack

Tracker / Depthfinder from Jim (64.12.116.198)  1/2/2008 4:30:00 PM
 Jack, Thanks. I too don't think it has anything to do with the boat. I too had a Tracker for 8 years prior to this one with no dfficulty. This X45 seems touchy in shallow water even while drifting sometimes. The gas motor doesn't affect it until the boat is moving, then it rarely sees the bottom (maybe half the time - never the half when I need it) The boat dealer moved the transducer and we tried various adjustments. I just want to buy a finder that works! Any suggestion on a new one? I don't need the side imaging. Any suggestions apreciated.

Jim, I don't think your electronics are the problem... from JonMac (66.30.129.13)  1/2/2008 9:38:00 PM
 I assume your unit was dealer installed? The problem may well be interference re: your X-ducer cable running along the same path as your ignition wiring.

Try re-routing the X-ducer cable AWAY from any ignition wiring...or if you can't re-route, try shielding the X-ducer cable with some type of rubber tubing (I used 3/8" fuel line successfully to solve a very similar problem in the past).

Good Luck and tight Lines!! John

Mounting transducers on aluminum boats from AllanTarvid (71.221.4.120)  1/2/2008 10:17:00 PM
 Jim, It is much more difficult to get a fish finder to perform at speed on a typical aluminum hull than on a fiberglass hull. A transducer has to have a smooth flow of water across its face in order to read at speed, any turbulence or air bubble streams passing across its working surface can kill a sounder's reading. Fiberglass hulls are smooth, hard and slick. Aluminum hulls are rougher, flexible and sometimes rippled or wavy rather than flat. They can have lines or patches of rivets, small steps where panels join, and multiple external mini keels running the length of the hull bottom. They all give sonar fits.

Here are some basic rules for getting a good reading at speed on an aluminum boat. First, pick a mounting position on the right side of the transom outside the circle of water cut by the engine's prop. Because of the direction of prop rotation it throws less natural turbulence to the right as it pushes the boat forward. Usually, 18-24 inches to the right of the transom's center is far enough. If your hull has a pad the transducer can't be to the right of it or it will come out of the water as the boat planes. Mount the transducer behind a flat section of hull bottom halfway between two of the external keels (if your hull has them). Luckily, the Skimmer transducer that comes with Lowrance and Eagle units is about the best I've found for aluminum boats. The transducer has to run deep enough in the water to reach below all the natural turbulence from an aluminum hull and run in smooth water. The general rule with aluminum hulls is if the transducer isn't working, run it deeper. I usually start by mounting a Skimmer transducer so that its belt line (the seam where the top and bottom halves of the transducer body meet) runs just below the surface of the water when the boat is planed. I position the transducer and bracket against the transom and drill the bracket mounting holes near the bottom of the bracket's mounting screw slots so I have plenty of room to slide the bracket down later to make the transducer run deeper. The skimmer can be mounted totally submerged if necessary to get deep enough to reach below turbulence without its mounting bracket dragging in the water below the transom. The mounting angle is also critical. The transducer should be level from side to side but its front-to-rear angle should be about 3 degrees nose-up in relation to the plane of the hull's bottom. If the transducer is mounted nose down at all your unit will lose the bottom at anything faster than trolling speed. If your transom has any wood in it I strongly suggest installing a piece of starboard or similar product at the bottom of the transom on the outside so you can mount transducers to it instead of having to drill into the transom itself to mount a transducer's bracket. Each time you back out a screw that has been run into the transom to adjust the transducer's running depth you need to reseal the mounting screw hole and let it cure completely. That usually means waiting overnight before you can safely check your adjustment with a test run. If the transducer is mounted on a board there is no waiting because no sealing is necessary. And, if you install a different transducer later on you don't have to worry about drilling new holes in the transom or permanently sealing old ones.

Anyway, following this procedure I have never run into an aluminum boat that I couldn't get a fish finder to read on at speed, including some rock-dented, beat up Canadian rental boats.

Transducer Tracker Boats from Embassrabitn' (64.12.117.71)  1/2/2008 11:06:00 PM
 I had a 06'Tracker 175 Pro with the new hull design as yours has and I had to move my transducer inorder for the depth finder to work at WOT. I wish I could draw a picture for you it would be easier but here goes. On the right hand side of the lower rear transome area your boat's hull should step-in a few inches (just like the big fiberglass rigs). You should see a several V-runners along the bottom of hull. Mount your tranducer behind the V-runner nearest the center right of hull. you have to use the transducer mount that will kick-up incase you hit something or pull upon shore. You can look at where your trailer bunks are located and place transducer just to right side of the right bunk. Inorder to get and keep the transducer in calm water away from hull interference/boat wash, I lowered the transducer approximately 1/4 below the V-runner. Worked perfect for me at any speed and the trailer bunk was never a problem either. The X47 was a fine unit and I never had a problem with it either. Just one more thing...when mounting the transducer bracket...slightly pre-drill small holes only deep enough to get stainless steel screws started and then hand tighten for a snug fit. The aluminium is thicker than you might think on Trackers new boats. Good luck...you might have to adjust transducer slightly up and down a few times but the location behind the V-runner should do you right.

An alternative from Wayne P.  1/6/2008 9:02:00 AM
 Vexilar AlumaDucer

Vexilar AlumaDucer from Jim (205.188.116.80)  1/7/2008 11:29:00 PM
 I would like to hear some more feedback about this product. I like the sound of it. Thanks guys for all your opinions! I have a lot to consider the next 2 months during Pennsylvania hibernation.

Name:

Password:

Can't remember your password? Click here!
State:
Email Address:

Users with subscriptions can attach pictures to their comments by using the form at http://www.wmi.org/newboard/upload_pictures/"

Subject:

Comments:

Advertising/Sponsor Information
Subscriptions
Register to post messages and reports

7-11-2013

Subscribers don't receive these ads

Fishing Reports
BFHP Articles
Fishing News
Upcoming Events
Rally Page
BFHP Surveys
Fishing Tactics
Places to Fish
Rods/Reels
Electronics
Other Topics
Product Evaluations

Boats/Motors
Boat Ramp Stories
Trailers & Towing
Boats For Sale
Tournament Tactics
Striped Bass

Swap/Sell
Clubs 
Fly Fishing
Hunting
Props
Fish4
Saltwater Fishing
Non-Fishing 2
Political Hook
Tall Tales, Fiction & Legend
Complete Listing of Boards
Copyright © WMI, Inc. 1995-2014. All rights reserved.
This message board created and maintained by: WebMasters International, Inc. (WMI) address mail to wmi@wmi.org

WMI disclaimer
Privacy Statement

Google