Lure Making
More Politics
Co-Anglers

Electronics

Installing 2 Lowrance HDS units
from Ken Braun  
12/9/2010 1:18:06 PM

Rated:

What do i need for installing 2 Lowarance hds units together,one on the console, one on the bow,so they do not interfear with each other? Thanks, Ken

Edited 12/9/2010 1:19:01 PM

Rate this message:
1 Star

2 Star

3 Star

4 Star

5 Star

linking units from Todd Driscoll  12/9/2010 2:02:28 PM
 You can link units via NMEA 2000 (red/black connector) or Ethernet (yellow cable), or both. With HDS units, the only reason you need NMEA 2000 is to run optional NMEA devices (external antenna, temp sensor, SonicHub, etc.) Otherwise, you can just Ethernet link, and share sonar (network sonar), run and share StructureScan, and hook up Sirius radio/weather. Ethernet also provides "complete" wpt sharing between units (new wpts, deleting and editing wpts, etc.). With NMEA 2000 wpt sharing, it is new wpts only, and only if both units are on.

When you say interfere, I assume you are referring to sonar crosstalk between units. Network sonar (which you can turn on or off) via Ethernet eliminates this, as only one ducer functions at a time. To cycle between sonar sources, from the sonar menu select sonar source (either "this unit" or "other unit model name"). Before, you had to "stop chart" on one unit to prevent crosstalk. This is also beneficial for your back seat partners, as they can now watch the sonar (and see exactly what you are seeing up front) without causing any interference.

install from Ken Braun  12/9/2010 4:35:15 PM
 Thank you for yur response Todd. I have a transducer on the trolling motor. I want to put a transducer on the back hull for running and temp sensor. When fishing can I have both units running at the same time, two different transducers without interferance? That is probable what you said ,I just need to be hit in the head once in a while to understand? Is there a diagram that show what colored wire where? Thanks Ken

2 ducers and interference from Todd Driscoll  12/9/2010 5:06:58 PM
 Anytime you have 2 transducers at the same kHz running at the same time, you will see some crosstalk. It is worse at higher sensitivity, and less at lower settings. To prevent crosstalk, you can either 1) select "stop chart" under your sonar menu at the console unit when your fishing up front, or 2) Ethernet link and enable "network sonar" - details described above. Either way, only one ducer is running at a time - no crosstalk.

Name:

Password:

Can't remember your password? Click here!
State:
Email Address:

Users with subscriptions can attach pictures to their comments by using the form at http://www.wmi.org/newboard/upload_pictures/"

Subject:

Comments:

Advertising/Sponsor Information
Subscriptions
Register to post messages and reports

7-11-2013

Subscribers don't receive these ads

Fishing Reports
BFHP Articles
Fishing News
Upcoming Events
Rally Page
BFHP Surveys
Fishing Tactics
Places to Fish
Rods/Reels
Electronics
Other Topics
Product Evaluations

Boats/Motors
Boat Ramp Stories
Trailers & Towing
Boats For Sale
Tournament Tactics
Striped Bass

Swap/Sell
Clubs 
Fly Fishing
Hunting
Props
Fish4
Saltwater Fishing
Non-Fishing 2
Political Hook
Tall Tales, Fiction & Legend
Complete Listing of Boards
Copyright © WMI, Inc. 1995-2014. All rights reserved.
This message board created and maintained by: WebMasters International, Inc. (WMI) address mail to wmi@wmi.org

WMI disclaimer
Privacy Statement

Google